28 April 2013

When I grow up I wanna be a preacher


When I grow up I want to be a preacher.

Open the book of justice and let it scream
for the wretched of the earth.
I want to preach the religion of revolution.
Stand in the pulpit of change; call on the holy spirit of sacrifice.
Defy the law, lawmakers, law enforcers
like some wild-eyed Nazarite prophet of JEHOVAH – dressed in dirty rags
unchallengeable,
Slaying prophets of BAAL who worship golden idols of greed,
Feeding at the table of MAMMON on the corpses of the poor.
I do not want to pay to Caesar what is Caesar’s –
But demand Caesar return what he has stolen.
I want to make a whip from cords, drive money changers from the temple beating them until they bleed and feeling nothing but righteous satisfaction at the fact they are paying the
ultimate price for the millions they have abused.
Tear down steeples, make women equal, reestablished love as a reason and empathically preach it is okay to believe what you want – emphatically!
When I grow up I want to preach tirelessly
the WAY of change.
The gospel of Revolution.
The word of Freedom.
The Truth about the Truth.

Teach that the love, the love, the love of money

is the root of all evil.
Sway in the pulpit of change and shout O Happy Day
when we roast capitalist pigs and eat pork rinds with hot sauce.
Ride like the four horsemen but bring Peace, Health, Food for All and Life.
Wade in the water and taste the sweetness of
                                    life.
I will bear all things, believe all things, hope all things,
            I will love - and be loved.
When I grow up I want to be a preacher.

by Ernesto Todd Mireles

No comments:

Search This Blog